Hiberfil.sys is a large file of our computer created by Windows. When our PC is in hibernate mode (write memory to hard disk), it uses this file hiberfil.sys to store all the memory data.
Important note: If you use hibernate mode don’t delete the file.
If you don’t use this mode because you use sleep mode or whatever reason then you should definitely clear this file to empty disk space. This guide should work on all Windows versions.
How to delete it
We will delete hibernate mode which will also remove the file.
- Go to start menu
- Open a command prompt in administrator mode (Right click on command prompt and select option Run As Administrator).
- Type this command: powercfg -h off
- This command basically mean you are removing hibernate mode. If you just want to disable go to the next paragraph.
- The file is now deleted. You can check it in windows folder.
How to disable it
If you just want to disable it do the following steps:
- Go to Control Panel.
- Select Power Options.
- Go to Hibernate tab.
- Uncheck Enable Hibernation.
With this easy steps we have free some disk space.