This write-up will open your eyes to some of the things that you need to consider if you want to make the most of your File Explorer in Windows 10.
You will be taught in the course of this write-up how to successfully find and use the various aspects of the Windows Explorer, including hard Drive Management, Quick Access, Keyboard Shortcuts and so on in a bid to find answers to the various question that you may encounter while using this operating system.
By the end of this write-up, you would have become a professional as far as getting help with files explorer in Windows 10 is concerned.
What the File Explorer does
In previous versions of Windows, File Explorer was referred to as Windows Explorer. It is a form of file manager and the first version came up in the 95 version termed Windows 95.
The files explorer makes available a graphical user interface and provides very easy access to file management so that you can easily access, edit and manage all the files stored on your computer in various places like system partition, the library, desktop and so on.
You are also free to change the properties of these files via the windows explorer if you so desire. There is rarely any Windows end-user that does not open the Files Explorer for easy management of his or her files.
The various keyboard shortcuts in Windows 10
You can get help with various operations and activities in Windows 10 via keyboard shortcuts. The shortcuts will make the entire process of computer operation very easy for you. Some of the very important keyboard shortcuts will be highlighted below:
- Alt D will take you to the address bar
- Alt + Enter will display all the properties of the particular folder or file that you have selected
- With Alt + Left Arrow Key will take you back One Folder in history
- Alt + Right Arrow Key will take you one folder forward in history
- With Alt+ P will show or hide the preview pane
- Ctrl+D will move the folder or file to your Recycle Bin
- With Ctrl + E will take you to the search box
- Ctrl + E can also activate the search bar in the Windows Explorer
- With Ctrl + F will take you to the search box also
- Ctrl + Mouse Wheel up or down will either increase or decrease the icon’s size in File Explorer.
- Ctrl + N will open an entirely new window of file explorer
- With Ctrl + Shift + E will bring up all the folders that are above the folder selected
- Ctrl + Shift + N will help to create an entirely new folder
- Ctrl + W will help to close the files explorer window you are currently on.
- F11 will minimize or maximize the active window
- Home will bring up the top items in that particular window
- Num Lock + Asterisk (*) will bring up all the subfolders that are under that current folder
- Num Lock + Minus (-) will bring up all the contents of the folder you have selected
- Shift + Delete will delete any folder or file permanently.
How to Get Help with file explorer in Windows 10
Accessing the File Explorer in Windows 10
You need to know how to access Windows Explorer before you can get the required help from it.
From This PC
You can access the files explorer from This PC when it is on.
- Look for an icon labeled as This PC, which you can find on your desktop.
- Double click on it and the interface of the files explorer will come up.
From the Taskbar
You can also access file explorer from the taskbar. The PC must also be turned on for this to be possible.
You should be able to launch several programs from your taskbar. However, the programs must have been locked to the taskbar before you can launch them from here.
Furthermore, you can access from Cortana. Each of the Windows 10 editions on sale today features intelligence assistance Cortana. This option is very good for those who do not have Files Explorer or This PC on their desktops.
All you have to do is to type File Explorer in the search box for Cortana. You can then find it from among the best matches. You can also decide top in it to the taskbar or Windows Start Menu.
From the start Menu
Additionally, you can access it from the Start Menu by clicking on the Windows Start menu. This will make it easy to find it. You can equally use the Power User Task Menu to find File Explorer in Windows 10.
ou need to first click on the Windows logo key, hold it down and press X at the same time. This will bring up the Power User menu. You will find Windows Explorer on the list that comes up. It can equally be accessed through shortcut keys as discussed earlier.
You can do this by pressing both the letter E and the Windows Logo key at the same time.
The various ways to find help will be presented to you once you are in Windows 10 Files Explorer.
The five categories or sources of help will be listed on the left action panel and they are highlighted below:
- This PC
- Quick Access
Important features of File Explorer
Some of the very important features in Windows 10 explorer are below:
- Home tab, which can be found on the top left corner of files explorer it eases the process of locating and completing most of these commands and tasks
- Share Tab, which can be found on the top-left corner.
- View Tab, with which you can preview various documents and pictures
- Quick Access, which is one of the most recent inclusions in files explorer via which you can check files and folders that were visited frequently.
- OneDrive, which allows you to save files directly to OneDrive.